Mount Holly | In the late 1780's the present town of Mount Holly was originally named Huntersville. In 1801, the town was issued a Post Office which would be operational until the name was changed to Woodlawn in 1836. In 1875, the town was named was changed after the Mount Holly Cotton Mill built that same year. The Cotton Mill of Mount Holly was the fourth mill that was built in Gaston County. 4 years late, a petition was passed along to residents confirming Mount Holly being incorporated into Gaston County.